View Single Post
Old 30-07-2022, 09:54 AM
Samster (Donor)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 3980 / Power: 17
Penguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond reputePenguin23 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Divorced 10 years...Now wife wants more maintenance, what are my options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravoguy View Post
Hi all, looking for advice from all the bros out there....

I'm 50yrs old and divorced 10 years, with two school going kids. Maintenance was at 1/3 of my income at divorce, and I have been regular and never missed it.

Now wife asking to double it. I'm not making much. And it's a strain.

Anyone out there has gone through this before and can share advice?
I'm divorced, just like you. But the kids come with me, I do not give my ex-wife a cent.

Basically the ex-wife is entitled to ask for a variation of the maintenance, but she may not get it. It is her who needs to apply to prove why she needs more, your only role is to prove your own living expenses and income.

Even though your ex-wife can show that her application sounds legit (i.e. kids living expenses has indeed gone up in the last 10 years, along with everything else), but it does not mean that you need to go hungry. Just be truthful and back up your income documentation/expenses as much as possible and the judge will accord you an outcome that it fair

Remember, it is not the role of the courts to make you go hungry and destitute because of a maintenance order. If you really cannot afford, the other side cannot force you to give