View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 28 / Power: 0
Geylang1969 deserves a Tiger! - He's a Good Guy
Re: Are Indians serviced by Geylang PRC houses?

One think I would like to point out. I am not Indian but I have worked and lived in India for few years so let me give my two cents here.

India is a hugely diverse country with a vast 1.2 billion population. So we cannot generalize about Indians. Here in SG when we say Indians we mean a small minority subset of Indians who are Tamils (from state of Tamil Nadu) or at the most South Indians which include neighboring states of Tamil Nadu. The Tamils are Dravidian and they have generally darker looks and have some unique mannerisms. But they are quite different from somebody from North Or eastern parts of India. If you search for say Mizoram Indians you will see they are very similar to people from Myanmar for eg. Kashmir Indians look more like Iranians.

So al these comments are really about a small minority subset of Indians that we are most familiar in SG. The Tamils are a bit discriminated against when they live in northern parts of India also.

I sometimes think they should change the name of little India to little tamilnadu or little chennai. Because there is nothing there which connects to anything in north or eastern or western parts of Indian people.

Having said that I agree I myself had some very nasty experience from the hands of some Indians. But it is no different from any other big and diverse country. When I went to USA I saw Americans having similar attitudes about Mexicans and Latinos working menial labor there. But the Indians reaching USA are highly educated professionals so Americans seem to think very highly of them. But Indian labourers in Middle East are treated badly by locals because they see so many of them doing low level work there.

Thanks Tim