View Single Post
Old 16-04-2004, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 21821 / Power: 29
Big Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond reputeBig Sexy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All you need to know about HIV

HIV Basics > Treatment
Source: http://www.aidsmap.com/hiv-basics

Can HIV be cured?
There is no cure for HIV. There has been, and continues to be, lots of research into possible cures.

But treatment with anti-HIV drugs means that many people with HIV are living long and healthy lives.

How is HIV treated?
Treatment for HIV involves taking a combination of anti-HIV drugs. This treatment has a very powerful anti-HIV effect and stops the virus from reproducing.

This allows the immune system to strengthen and fight infections effectively.

To get the most benefit from your HIV treatment, you need to take it properly. This is often called ‘adherence’.

What does HIV treatment involve?
HIV treatment involves taking anti-HIV drugs every day. These cannot cure HIV. However, they can stop HIV from reproducing. This allows the immune system to stay strong.

There are now more than 20 of these drugs, although they are not all available everywhere in the world. HIV is normally treated with a combination of three different drugs. Most HIV treatment combinations are taken once or twice daily. This treatment has a very powerful anti-HIV effect. Thanks to HIV treatment, many people with the virus can hope to live a long and healthy life.

You should aim to take all the doses of your treatment. Missing just a few doses a month can mean that your treatment doesn’t work properly, and your HIV may become resistant to the drugs that you are taking.

Anti-HIV drugs can interact with other some other prescribed drugs, medications you would buy from a pharmacy, herbal remedies and illegal or ‘recreational’ drugs. To reduce the risk of interactions, it’s important to tell your HIV doctor or pharmacist about any other medicines and drugs you are taking.

You’ll be monitored regularly to see if your treatment is working. If you do encounter a problem with your treatment, it should be possible to do something about it.

Where can I go for treatment and care?
Medical care for HIV happens in a wide range of hospital and other medical settings, depending on where you are in the world. You can find out about treatment centres in the country where you live using the e-atlas on this website.

What can I do to help myself?
There’s a lot you can do to look after your physical and mental health and general wellbeing.

Leading a healthy lifestyle is a good start. This includes getting enough sleep, eating a good diet, exercising, not smoking, drinking sensible amounts of alcohol, and avoiding or moderating drug use.

Attending your clinic appointments is important and, if you are on HIV treatment, then taking it properly is a very important part of staying well.

Looking after your emotional health is also very important. It’s good to have somebody you trust who you can talk to about your feelings and discuss any problems you may have.

Living with HIV can be hard at times, and most people need the help of others from time to time. Don’t be frightened to ask for help.

What are the side-effects of HIV treatment?
All medicines can cause side-effects, and this includes those used to treat HIV. But it’s good to know that many people find modern HIV treatment easy to take.

Anti-HIV drugs can cause both short-term and long-term side-effects.

Common side-effects you might have when you first start a treatment are diarrhoea, feeling or being sick, and headache. Some drugs can also cause problems sleeping, including vivid dreams, a feeling of being ‘spaced out’ or depression.

Most people find that these side-effects lessen or go away completely after a couple of weeks.

A few anti-HIV drugs can cause an allergic reaction. You should be screened for risk factors before taking any of these drugs, and then warned about possible symptoms. If you do then have any of those symptoms, you should seek medical advice immediately.

Longer-term side-effects can involve increased levels in blood fats and sugars, changes in kidney or liver function, or thinning of the bones. You’ll be monitored to see if you develop any of these side-effects.

It’s worth remembering that you don’t always have to put up with side-effects. Mention them to a member of your healthcare team as it may be possible to do something about them.

When will I need to start taking HIV treatment?

There is no definite ‘right’ time to start HIV treatment.

There are different views on the benefits of starting treatment earlier and later. Guidelines on when people should start HIV treatment vary in different countries.

You will need to talk to your healthcare team and weigh up the benefits and risks of starting treatment. HIV treatment is lifelong and starting treatment is a big commitment. If you feel comfortable about starting treatment and understand what is involved, you may be more likely to be able to take your treatment properly.

However, it is recommended that you should start taking HIV treatment if you are ill because of HIV.

Where it’s available, testing for the strength of your immune system (called a CD4 count) should help determine whether you need to start treatment. It’s recommended that people whose CD4 cell count is around 350 should start taking HIV treatment.

Starting treatment at this time reduces your risk of becoming ill because of HIV, and also reduces the risk of heart, liver and kidney disease as well as some cancers.

For this reason, patients with risk factors for these illnesses are especially encouraged to start treatment when their CD4 cell count is around 350.

What should I ask my doctor?

If you don’t understand anything, or if you want to know more about any subject, ask your doctor! Or there may be another member of your healthcare team who can help with a particular issue.

You should feel able to ask questions or tell your doctor, or another healthcare worker, about things that are bothering you. This will be important in staying as well as possible and increasing the chances of any treatment being successful.

Sex health related questions click here.
WOMEN'S CHARTER click here
Sg law on sex related matters click here

Last edited by Big Sexy; 15-05-2011 at 10:06 PM.