Thread: F a i t h
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 176 / Power: 8
kiasusam is a Helpful and Caring Samsterkiasusam is a Helpful and Caring Samster
Re: F a i t h

“好了. 都坐下吧.” – The elder in the house said, setting the last dish at the table.

“妈, 吃饭.” – All of them said simultaneously, even Arno.

“Auntie, 吃饭.” – I said before nodding to the rest of the people at the table, making sure I practice all the good manners my own mother had taught me since young.

For the first few minute, I was extremely quiet. I stared hard at the food presented in front of me and my hands were sending food to my mouth automatically as if programmed to do so with my mind telling myself I must break the silence. I took a peep at the rest of them and Laurine had a straight face cast on her while James busy stuffing himself with the food. Agnes and Arno were looking at each other. I believe they could feel the awkwardness.

“Auntie, 这道扣肉很好吃啊.” – I finally said.

“谢谢, 好吃就吃多点,锅里还有.” - Faith’s mother answered.

“我妈妈最拿手的就是扣肉.” – Agnes added in, to prolong the conversation.

“Yes, indeed, it has always been my favourite.” Arno joined in as well.

“Looks like your tongue has been locally tuned,” I joked.

“Haha, ya, by my mother-in-law. She’s a really good cook.” Arno said.

“Can you cook?” I asked Agnes and added, “I know your sister can.”

“Me ar. Haha, instant noodle with egg is the only thing on my menu.”

“Hahaha, good enough,” I laughed and turned to Laurine, “How about you, Laurine? Can you cook?”

I was looking at her and from my angle I could see Arno’s surprised look as I tried to strike up a conversation with Laurine who still had that straight face on her. He, too, slowly turned to Laurine, waiting for her reply. James, beside her, turned and looked at Laurine too, who eventually answered on her behalf, “She can cook. Almost as well as Agnes, hahaha.”

“Who asked you?” Laurine finally spoke, “He’s asking me not you? You can’t even cook an egg without burning it.”

Everyone laughed except auntie at the table. At this point, I knew Laurine is not the person I should be worried about. It was the mother; or it had always been her. The rest of us chatted and joked like a group of friends. Laurine as well, joined in the conversation, slowly warming up. Only Faith’s mother sat at her table quietly, feeding the youngest of James and Laurine. I knew something was troubling her mind. I knew I needed to talk to her. Afterall, I am, so to speak, asking for her daughter’s hand in “marriage”.

After the meal, all of us helped to wash and clear the dining table. I volunteered to station at the basin, soaping and rinsing the dishes while Faith helped to wipe them dry.

“Today’s not so bad afterall,” Faith said to me. “Laurine is now opening up.”

“But I think your mom’s still a little troubled. I think I should talk to her later.”

“My mom’s fine. She spoke to me while you were in the living room just now before my sisters came. She’s just a little worried for me but I’ve rest her assured.”

I thought for a while before replying, “But I think it will only be proper if I speak to her myself. Let’s do it after your sisters had gone home.”

“What do you want to say to her?”

“I’m not sure,” I chuckled, “Let me think about it.”

“Ok,” Faith replied with a smile and gave me a peck on my cheek.

Inside the seaplane, there was minimal legroom at the seat. I was not expecting business class but it was very hard for us to move around especially for me who had Keane with me. The cockpit was in full view with no barrier from the passengers. After the 2 pilots, had did their thingies on the switches and some recording on the log books, we were good to go. The journey from Malé to our atoll was 45 mintues and we were each given a pair of earplugs, and an ear muffler for my boy, to fend off the noise from the engine as they roared in display of its power to bring us up into the air.

The journey was a mesmorising one with the view taking our breaths away. Every atoll that we flew passed looked amazing with the turquoise blending into darker blue as the water goes deeper. From the view high in the sky, they looked like small little cells under a microscope. Speedboats carrying island hoppers could be seen on the waters zipping north, south, east and west, leaving a wave trail behind them.

The weather was perfect with the sun shone brightly above us, casting a shadow of the plane onto the surface of the water as we flew quite low to prepare for landing, dropping off some of the tourists at their resort.

I was so proud of my boy as he sat quietly throughout the whole flight only to fidget once in a while. He was enjoying the view with his papa.

After the lengthy family chat at the living room, Faith’s sisters finally left, leaving me the chance to talk to the mother. I did not have slightest idea of what to say to Faith’s mother. Perhaps Laurine’s sudden change of attitude towards me made me put my guard down. I was enjoying the chat with the sisters and did not prepare my speech. That proved to be a big mistake afterward.

“妈, 我们可以和你说几句话吗?” – Faith asked her mother after she closed the gate behind her siblings.

Auntie did not say much but acknowledged her daughter’s request with a soft voice that could hardly be heard in the then quiet house, “Mm,” and then changed her course towards the kitchen and sat down in the living room, without looking at us.

Somehow, that respond gave me a shiver down my spine. That cold respond, as if her mother knew what was coming, made me lose my steadiness. My throat and thinking juice dried up. I could not speak or think quickly enough of what to say to her. I slowly ambled to the sofa, buying every scrap of time that I could, before my “I-love-you-daughter-but-I’m-married speech” and sat next to Faith away from her mother, who was sitting in the stand-alone armchair around the coffee table.

The silence was weighing down on me, suffocating me, slowly eating me up from inside. I started to perspire. Droplets of sweat formed on my forehead and slowly dripped down the side of my jawline. I became a little boy in front of a strict principal.

This will never bode well for me. I got to start talking!

“妈…” – I stopped almost immediately the word came out of my mouth. Faith turned and looked at me. I could see her shock look from the corner of my eye.

Ma?? What the fuck am I thinking??

“对不起 对不起, auntie.” – I apologised over and over again. I could feel my face heated up with embarrassment.

“没事, 不要担心.” – auntie finally spoke up and continued, “老实说, 我看不见你们的未来. 只知道如果半路上要是出了什么问题的话而分开,受伤的会是我的女儿. 我们做父母的责任是把你们生下来, 把你们养大和给予你们教育. 日子要怎么过, 你们自己决定. 请不要怪auntie自私. 你要记得你有责任对她好.”

At this point, Faith was sobbing and kept shaking her head. “妈, 对不起.” – Faith finally let out and hugged her mother. Auntie dropped her tears as well.

“Auntie, 请你放心. 我在这里想你保证, 我不会让思敏伤心也不会让她一个人走下去. 虽然我们不能结婚, 但我会尽一个丈夫的责任照顾她的. 请给我时间来证明我自己.” – I said upon seeing the mother and daughter hugging each other in tears.

There was nothing I can say to rest her mother assured that her daughter is in good hands and will never be left alone, I knew that. I can say whole world but that was just empty talks to her. I need time. I need time to prove myself that I am genuine towards her daughter. I am no different with her other son-in-laws, whose ultimate goal is to spend their lives with her daughters.

Time is all I need.