View Single Post
Old 25-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 776 / Power: 19
KatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to beholdKatoeyLover69 is a splendid one to behold
Cool POLITICAL DRAMA: Protesters clash at Thaksin’s house

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaivisitor
Actually, read your thread save me time from reading newspaper too. kekekekeke

I'm waiting for the article on the clash at Thaksin's house. When you going to post?
Cheers
Tee Vee
Bro TV,

Here's the article, specially for you ...............

Report from The Nation dated Sunday 25 December 2005 :-

POLITICAL DRAMA: Protesters clash at Thaksin’s house

Pro-democracy groups and Egat unions demand PM’s resignation. A crowd of 200 protesters marched to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s residence on Charan Sanitwong 69 Road in the early hours of yesterday morning to demand an end to the Egat privatisation plan.

Some of the demonstrators, mostly from pro-democracy groups and Egat Plc employees, also demanded the prime minister’s resignation, accusing him of mismanaging the country’s affairs.

The protesters had attended the talk show of media tycoon Sondhi Limthongkul at Lumpini Park on Friday evening and afterwards travelled to the premier’s house on the other side of Bangkok, arriving after midnight.

However, they were blocked at the entrance to the soi by anti-riot police forces and could not reach the premier’s residence despite several attempts.

Thaksin, who had been inspecting the flood situation in the South, reached home not long before the protesters reached there.

“The march is a gesture of protest against the Thaksin government,” said protest organiser Anusorn Som-on.

Anusorn said many people were disappointed with Thaksin, particularly with his plan to privatise Egat, the state-run electricity company.

“We want Thaksin to explain the Egat privatisation,” he said. “We also demand that he return his power to the King in order for His Majesty to bestow it back to the people.”

The protesters camped on the sidewalk throughout the night and made several attempts to cross the police barricades. No casualties were reported.

Earlier on Friday, a group of about 200 anti-Sondhi Chiang Rai residents tried to disrupt his talk show, prompting an exchange of words with his supporters at Lumpini Park.

Members of the rival groups were seen engaging in fisticuffs, but no complaints were lodged with police.

Former Thai Rak Thai MP Pichet Chuamuangphan organised the Chiang Rai group’s trip to Bangkok.

Commenting on the incidents, Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva called for calm, saying opposing sides were entitled to air their opinions and should not allow the debate to degenerate into violence.

Prime Minister Thaksin hit back at the increasing criticism he faces in his weekly radio address yesterday, accusing his critics of having ulterior motives.

“Lately I have been bombarded with criticism and I don’t know what to do or say as my critics try to fault me,” he said. “But I am not disheartened because they have agendas against me,” he added.

“My critics are attacking out of frustration that I stand in the way of their cheating, or that I refused to grant television concessions, or that they lost their Cabinet positions,” he said.

Thaksin said he would not waver in his determination to serve the public, pointing out that he was elected by almost 20 million voters.

He said he would carry on his fight to protect the public interest and root out corruption, regardless of what critics said.

Reacting to Thaksin’s comments, Abhisit said the prime minister might have misrepresented his critics.

“It is true that some critics might have hidden agendas, but the majority of criticism has been made with good intentions,” he said.

Thaksin’s arrogance would attract even more opponents, the Democrat leader said.

He urged Thaksin to try to rebut allegations rather than discredit his critics.

“Many leading figures, non-governmental organisations and academics have been questioning the government on myriad issues. They are acting out of concern for the country and not because of grudges,” he said.